If you choose to use referencing tools online or download any apps you must consider the following:
- EndNote is currently the only referencing tool endorsed and supported by Bournemouth University. Endnote can be set to output references in BU’s version of the Harvard style.
- Be aware that they vary in quality and ultimately you are responsible for the references you submit. Always proof-read your references if you create them using any online tools or apps.
- Poor referencing from online reference tools and apps may affect your marks, or in serious cases, may contribute to academic offences (plagiarism).
- Unsupported tools and apps may not be regularly updated. Using them carries a risk that support may be withdrawn without notice and you may lose your stored references.
- BU Library Teams provide guidance and support for referencing, including one-to-one or small group sessions.
- BU’s guidance on how to avoid plagiarism and the Study Skills area on Brightspace.