Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- The Ask BU Students' Service is a one-stop-shop for student enquiries - open during term time and vacations. Their friendly, professional and helpful advisers are available to help you with information, advice and guidance throughout your studies at BU.
- AskBU are able to help with a majority of non-academic queries, signposting to specialists where appropriate.
- Ask BU are based at both Talbot and Lansdowne campuses; you can drop-in to see them at The Base in Poole House or at Bournemouth House Library.
- Find out more at: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/students/askbu-contact-us
Student Support and Engagement
- Advice about all aspects of religion and spirituality. Can put students in touch with local faith communities and tell students where nearest mosque, church, temple, etc is. There is an Islamic prayer room and also a Meditation/Quiet room in the Chaplaincy area. Students can get the code for the door from any member of Chaplaincy staff.
- Global Café is a regular social gathering with free coffee, cookies and a chance to meet other international students to chat (ran by the Chaplaincy but with no religious content, it’s just a place to meet). Contact the Chaplaincy for details.
- Find out more at: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/students/health-wellbeing/chaplaincy
- Paul Barnes, the Language Adviser, offers English language support to all international students across the University. This support is provided in a number of ways.
- Students can register their interest in English language support by going to the English language support library guide and signing up for the support using the form on the guide: http://libguides.bournemouth.ac.uk/english-language-support
Booking an appointment:
- There are a several ways to register with the service and book an appointment:
- Online by completing the registration form and emailing it to email@example.com
- In person, by calling into reception during opening hours. Please call ahead or check the website for holiday opening times.
Additional Learning Support
- ALS is available to all students, whether full or part-time, undergraduate or postgraduate, on or off campus.
- Support can be provided for students with:
- Specific learning differences
- Physical/sensory impairments
- Mobility impairments
- Medical conditions
- Mental health issues
- Temporary injuries
- Email: ALS@bournemouth.ac.uk
- Website: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/why-bu/student-wellbeing/additional-learning-support
- AskBU and SUBU are here to help if you are having any money worries, no matter whether they be a very short-term lack of funds or alternatively longer-term issues. There are various types of hardship funding available from BU including the Small Emergency Grant, Emergency Loan and the BU Hardship Fund.
- In addition to mainstream Government and BU funds, it is possible to receive further support from external trusts, charities and grants. We also strongly recommend that you visit the Students' Union money advice webpage where you can read about general budgeting tips and advice on how to make your funds go further.
International Student Support
Useful information for helping international students.
International Student Support Team (within AskBU)
- The Base, Poole House Reception.
- Immigration questions and visa renewal applications.
- Specialist advice and welfare relating to cultural issues etc.
- Book an appointment at the Base or telephone 01202 969696.