Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Open Athens accounts
Students, staff and researchers studying on or supporting NHS-related courses are entitled to a free Open Athens account. This account will provide access to resources subscribed to by the NHS in addition to those provided by BU.
Students from the following courses will receive an Open Athens account automatically:
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
- PGDip Adult Nursing (with professional registration)
- BSc (Hons) Children & Young People's Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing
- PGDip Mental Health Nursing (with professional registration)
- BSc (Hons) Midwifery
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy
- BSc (Hons) Operating Department Practice
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science
- PG Dip / MSc Physician Associate Studies
- PG Dip Public Health with Professional Registration as a Specialist Community Public Health Nurse (Health Visiting)
Students, staff or researchers studying on or supporting other courses please contact HSSlibteam@bournemouth.ac.uk to enquire about this service.
Students studying on CPD courses at BU whilst working at an NHS Trust should contact their NHS Trust library for an account, which will provide access to additional resources.
Accessing BMJ Best Practice
Follow the steps below to access BMJ Best Practice
PLEASE NOTE: You can only access BMJ Best Practice when you use a different internet browser to the one you use for your e-LfH modules.
- Go to https://openathens.nice.org.uk/Auth/Login
- Login with Open Athens username and password
- Click on My Resources, then choose BMJ Best Practice
- At this stage type in or select NHS in England when asked to select your institution
- You get a “Phew! You’re almost there page” – enter your email address and choose a password to set up an account within BMJ Best Practice (unfortunately, this step is necessary, on top of logging in with your OpenAthens account, to allow for personalisation, etc)
- You should then be taken through to a logged in page (you can tell you’re logged in, as it says near the top “Access provided by Health Education England)
Open Athens account contact details
If your activation code has expired or you have forgotten your username or password please contact HSSlibteam@bournemouth.ac.uk
If you have created an Open Athens account via your hospital library you should direct all Athens-related queries to that hospital library.