Skip to Main Content

Peer Support Leader Guide: Apply to be a Peer Support Leader

This guide is designed for our Peer Support Leaders to contain all the information they require to carry out their role, including key contacts, the process for the observations and how to claim their pay.

Peer Support Leader recruitment for 23-24 is now open!

Before sending your application, please carefully read through the information and guidance on this page:

  • How to apply 
  • Requirements for becoming a PAL Leader (information on compliancy, providing Right to Work documentation, Tier 4 students, and working outside of the UK).

How to apply

To apply to be a Peer Support Leader, you need to follow these steps:

1) Read through the job description to ensure you understand the role and what is being asked of you. 

2) Ensure you read the 'requirements' box on this page, and make any arrangements you may need to have your right to work ready to provide.

3) Complete the application form here:

4) Await a response from the Central PAL Team. If successful, you will be invited to an informal interview.

5) If successful, provide your documentation to the Part Time Hourly Paid Team who will contact you with everything that is required. Please ensure you check your student email address on a daily basis for emails from the PTHP Team.

6) Once compliant to start work, the Central PAL Team will invite you to attend the mandatory Peer Support Leader training.

Requirements for becoming a PAL Leader

Before you can carry out the Facilitation Course or any type of PAL work, you need to be made compliant to start work.  

It is considered an employment breach if you undertake any type of work (including paid training) before you are made compliant. 


Once you have been offered the Peer Support Leader role, please check your student email address daily in order to commence the onboarding process as soon as possible. Please note that onboarding will take place in September.

Onboarding will involve providing your Right to Work documents and completing the employment documents that the Part Time Hourly Paid (PTHP) Team will send you via your student email address. 


Your Right to Work must be one of the following documents:

· If you are a British or Irish citizen, we can accept a Birth Certificate or Passport (this can be expired)Birth Certificates must be provided alongside proof of National Insurance Number (e.g.NI Letter, P45, P60 or Payslip). You will be required to provide your original documents in person and for this to be verified by an employee of BU.

· If you are an EU, EEA, or Swiss citizen and have received a status under the EU Settlement Scheme, we will be able to conduct an online right to work check and verify your photo via an online video call – please provide permission and share your code.

· If you have a visa (Biometric Residence Permit or Biometric Residence Card) we will be able to conduct an online right to work check and verify your photo via an online video call – please provide permission and share your code


If you are a British or Irish citizen not currently in possession of your Right to Work document, please arrange to get this as soon as possible to avoid delays to your employment and training.

Please note: we cannot accept driving licenses as a form of Right to Work documentation.

Working overseas

HR's Part-Time-Hourly-Paid [PTHP] have advised that BU cannot employ any students/staff who will be overseas during their PAL Leader contract. This is due to reasons such as tax, pension implications, insurance, and employment legislation. 

In the unplanned event that an employed student finds themselves overseas and unable to return to the UK during their contract period, this will need to be flagged with the Central PAL Team. HR have also advised that each case will be reviewed on its own independent circumstances, so please flag any concerns with us so that they can be investigated if needed.

PTHP will verify your location during your employment processing, however please get in touch with and your PAL Academic Course Contact if you have any questions.

Tier 4 - Home Office Guidance

With regards to Right to Work documentation for Tier 4 students, the following guidance provided to us by the Part Time Hourly Paid Team applies: 

For a Tier 4 student, we now only require their Biometric Resident Permit (NOT A PASSPORT); 

  • A current Biometric Immigration Document (Biometric Residence Permit) issued by the Home Office to the holder which indicates that the named person can currently stay in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa. 

  • If you have a Biometric Residence Permit, Biometric Residence Card or status under the EU Settlement Scheme we will be able to conduct an online right to work checking service whilst on the video call – please give permission and share your code  

After your document has been verified via video call you will not be required to have your document verified again until, if applicable, it expires. 

The only exception to this is where they do not have a biometric resident card but their Visa is actually within their Passport, as an ‘endorsement’. 

  • A current passport endorsed to show that the holder is allowed to stay in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa. 

TIER 4  

If you are a Tier 4 international student, the Right to Work documents you need to provide for PTHP will be different. You can find more guidance here