Skip to Main Content

Placement PAL Central: Tier 4 PAL Leaders

This is a guide for Placement PAL Leaders.

Tier 4 Employment Documents

With regards to Right to Work documentation for Tier 4 students, the following guidance provided to us by the Part Time Hourly Paid Team applies:

For a Tier 4 student, we now only require their Biometric Resident Permit (NOT THEIR PASSPORT);


  • A current Biometric Immigration Document (Biometric Residence Permit) issued by the Home Office to the holder which indicates that the named person can currently stay in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa.


The only exception to this is where they do not have a biometric resident card but their Visa is actually within their Passport, as an ‘endorsement’.


  • A current passport endorsed to show that the holder is allowed to stay in the UK on a Tier 4 Visa.

Completing your timesheet

The timesheet for payment needs to be downloaded from PAL Central and typed (please do not print and write on them).

It should be one calendar month per timesheet – even if you have one date for the previous month, this requires a new form for that month!

You must complete another form with all details if you run out of space.

Once you have completed the form please email it to the PAL team: (use this email if you have any queries).

To change your address or bank details please contact HR:

If you are a Tier 4 (international) student, the pay claims process differ slightly as you are required to complete a different form, which HR should supply you with. The same still applies that you should submit one pay claim per month. 

Working Restrictions

As a Tier 4 (General) student visa holder you will be aware that you are restricted to working 15 hours each week (Monday – Sunday) during term time (this includes paid or unpaid work at the University ).

Further the University limits the number of working hours at the University, irrespective of visa status, to 15 hours per week during term time for all Undergraduate students and those students undertaking full time studies at any level, across all contracts of employment with the University.

You will be informed of your specific term dates by Human Resources prior to commencing your contract.


Please note:

  • If you withdraw, suspend and/or finish your course early, you cannot work in the UK on your Tier 4 (General) student visa.

  • Re-submission of assignments/coursework and resits are classed as term time, therefore once your final results are published, if you have had any academic failure you must immediately inform HR ( as this may affect your working hours.

There are serious consequences if you exceed your Tier 4 restrictions; your visa could be curtailed requiring you to leave the UK and the University may have its Tier 4 Sponsor Licence revoked.

Creative Commons Licence