Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Visits to Bournemouth University's Archives and Special Collections will be paused from Mon 19 Sept - Fri 28 Oct 2022, due to BU Library staff priority to support and teach our Students at the beginning of 22/23 academic year.
Our Archives and Special Collections visiting service will resume from Mon 31 Oct 2022.
During this period, please continue emailing your queries and IBA Archive file requests to email@example.com, this inbox will still be monitored by two Librarians.
What's in the Archives and Special Collections? Who do I contact?
- Archives and Special Collections are managed by Bournemouth University Library and Learning Support.
- BU Library's webpage for Archives and Special Collections.
- We provide access to collections which support the research of BU's Academic School/Faculties and secures, where possible through the quality or uniqueness of its collections, distinction within the higher education community.
- We hold approx. 300+ metres of boxed materials in Talbot Campus Library mobile shelves, containing print documents and files plus some microfilm and audio visual materials. We also have 940+ boxes of print documents and files in an off site storage facility (mainly the IBA Archive). We have a process for requesting items for archive researchers.
- Access to the archives is by appointment only (Mon-Thurs 9.30am-4.30pm, Fri 10am-4pm) and requires at least 20 working days' notice. Up to 8 IBA Archive files may be requested per visit day.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org (inbox is monitored by two Librarians and we aim to respond within 5-10 working days) or call 01202 965959.
- If you wish to use archives and special collections materials held in The Sir Michael Cobham Library's mobile shelves, apply using the 'Student Permission to Access Archives and Special Collections in Mobile Shelves' Form (link below).
- You must have this form countersigned by a BU academic (e.g. Lecturer who's teaching the unit you're researching; Dissertation Supervisor/Tutor) and the agreement is valid for the duration of one academic year.
- Email your completed form to email@example.com and we'll make arrangements with you so you can access the materials.
- Further advice and support is available at Library Help Zones or email firstname.lastname@example.org.