Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Archives and Special Collections: Home

What is in the Archives & Special Collections and how do I access it?

The Library's Archives & Special Collections are managed by Bournemouth University Library and Learning Support. It provides access to collections which support the research of Bournemouth University's Academic Faculties and secures where possible, through the quality or uniqueness of its collections, distinction within the higher education community. Access to the archives is by appointment, and requires at least 10 working days' notice.

Please email or call 01202 965959.

CORONAVIRUS - Library services update: Whilst BU Libraries are open to BU students and staff, access to Archives and Special Collections materials is currently limited and being reviewed on a case by case basis.  Access to external visitors is not permitted until further notice; see here for the latest updates.  Email requests to access will be logged and you will be notified when we are able to facilitate physical access to the material.

Staff and Researchers

For the ITA/IBA Cable Authority Archive 1953-1990, held off site, special arrangements are in place and you will need to make an appointment to view the material.

Archives and Special collections journals, such as The Listener and Radio Times, can be requested through the Help Zone or by emailing

Student use

If you wish to use the archives and special collections held at The Sir Michael Cobham Library, please apply using the Special Collections Permission Form. Forms are also available from the Help Zone. Please arrange to have the form countersigned by your tutor. This agreement is valid for one academic year, so you will only need to complete the form once.

Once you have a completed form, please contact Archives and Special Collections to arrange access. Further advice and support is available at the Help Zone.

External Users

Please contact us to request access to our special collections.
Email: ArchivesandSpecialCollections